Re: [LUG] Linux to the rescue part2

Juan J. MartÃnez wrote:
El vie, 26-03-2010 a las 08:21 +0000, T Brownen escribiÃ:
http://blogs.computerworld.com/15815/can_ubuntu_save_online_banking

It's interesting, but in that way they have to trust that live CD, and
it makes things easier to attack the users (just send a compromised CD
to all the customers, or use a man in the middle that remplaces the CD
in the post service, etc).

Cheers,

Juanjo

They missed the fundamental point - its not about security per se its about preserving the status quo. Online banking should be dirt cheap, could be dirt cheap but that would put most of the high street banks out of business. I'm sure banks could come up with very secure methods online - irrespective of how shit your home OS is security wise. But its not in their interests. When someone else (maybe this bloke thats doing no-profit power) looks at the potential revenue generated, not to say the real boost to the economy good online low-profit* money-transfer can be then someone may invest in good security and then the banks will be gone, and I hope they take the other information-highway robbers with them *I have looked at online money transfer and could do it extremely profitably for 1p or 0.1% of a transaction whichever is greater and that would make me very very rich in a couple of years - if it was treated like cash but there are some interesting rulea I cant quite get my head round
Tom  te tom te tom
//