Re: [LUG] OT: Mobile flashing

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:41:41 -0700
Rhia Knowles wrote:

> >> No, "de-branding" and "unlocking" are usually totally different
> >> beasts.
> >>
> >> De-branding, which is what happens when you flash it with the
> >> manufacturer's own firmware, will probably get rid of the 'extra'
> >> software and settings that was installed on the phone by the
> >> network.
> >>
> >> I de-branded my Nokia N95-1 (so I could install homebrew
> >> applications) and it was still locked to 3.
> >>
> >> Grant.
> >>

> > Agreed. ÂMy current phone is an ex-Vodafone Motorola V9. ÂIt worked
> > on Orange and still does now I am on O2. ÂHowever when I turn it on
> > I still get the original Vodafone splash screen and menus, so the
> > firmware hasn't been touched by unlocking it. ÂThat was the one I
> > got a refund for as FoneFunShop said they were unable to debrand it
> > as it is apparently a slightly different beast, a V9M.
> >

> Yeah a friend had a Samsung Soul locked to Voda on contact. He changed
> to Orange Pay and Go when he lost his job, but found he couldnt get
> the internet settings to change from the Voda ones. Even Debranded it
> still wouldnt load anything but the vodaphone homepage. In the end he
> just bought himself a new phone.

Would probably have been cheaper to buy a Vodafone PAYG SIM card,
phone Vodafone and ask to have it unlocked (with credit/debit card in
hand).  As I understand it they'll unlock it there and then if you pay
or if you have enough credit.

After de-branding the phone *should* have been open to changing the
Internet settings to whatever you want... but if the phone is still
"locked" to Vodafone then non-Vodafone settings will be ineffective.

Of course, the other option is re-branding.  If the phone in question
is available on an alternative network then chances are there's a
branded firmware available.  Say you have a Nokia with T-Mobile
branding - you may be able to get an Orange branded firmware for the
same device.

Grant.