Re: [LUG] OT: Mobile flashing

Rhia Knowles wrote:
I don't think the problem here is removing the lock that restricts it
to one mobile provider, as the phone isn't going to be used for
calls. In which case the thing can be reflashed with the software
from samsung. In anycase these unlocking services cost from between
£12 and £20.

Does unlocking involve reflashing anyhow. A couple of times I've
bought unlock codes off the net and this involves press a complex set
of keys in the correct order and then entering the code. The code is
somehow based on phones serial number.

The vivitar camera costs £23 and vivitar and a good brand.

The problem is much more likely to be the battery not holding a
charge, hence it works when plugged in to the mains, but not when
not. Batteries are a big revenue earner for mobile manufacturers.
They are often expensive and also quickly go out of production.

Simon

No, "de-branding" and "unlocking" are usually totally different beasts.

De-branding, which is what happens when you flash it with the
manufacturer's own firmware, will probably get rid of the 'extra'
software and settings that was installed on the phone by the network.

I de-branded my Nokia N95-1 (so I could install homebrew
applications) and it was still locked to 3.

Grant.

Agreed.  My current phone is an ex-Vodafone Motorola V9.  It worked on
Orange and still does now I am on O2.  However when I turn it on I still get
the original Vodafone splash screen and menus, so the firmware hasn't been
touched by unlocking it.  That was the one I got a refund for as FoneFunShop
said they were unable to debrand it as it is apparently a slightly different
beast, a V9M.

Yeah a friend had a Samsung Soul locked to Voda on contact. He changed
to Orange Pay and Go when he lost his job, but found he couldnt get
the internet settings to change from the Voda ones. Even Debranded it
still wouldnt load anything but the vodaphone homepage. In the end he
just bought himself a new phone.

Strange... that's exactly why a friend of mine had his phone debranded. Already unlocked but it wasn't working right, got it debranded and was able to get on the Internet (apart from which his phone stopped crashing).

Julian