Re: [LUG] OT: Windows 7 is FREE (according to Dell)

Rob Beard wrote:
> NW wrote:
>>>
>> In this country, UK, you can buy a laptop from the Linux Emporium which
>> has Linux pre-installed and no sign of Windows. That way there is no
>> need to bother with the hassle of trying to get a refund.
>>
>> Neil
>>
> From what I've seen though they are very expensive, or it could be down
> to the specifications of the machines they are selling.  Cheapest laptop
> is about £580 (okay the spec is fairly reasonable, but overkill for say
> my mum and step-dad who have just bought a laptop).  Considering the
> Windows refund is only usually about £30 to £50 it's a bit of a premium
> to pay.
>
> On the other hand, Novatech have got a laptop for £319.99 inc VAT with
> no operating system.  Has AMD Athlon X2 TK-42 (1.6GHz) CPU, ATI Radeon
> X1200 graphics, 250GB Hard drive, DVD-RW, 2GB Ram.
>
> I've heard good things about Novatech, the machines I've used from
> Novatech however haven't been that great BUT that could be down to the
> fact that they weren't looked after properly and had broken cases and
> chunks missing out of them.  I'm sure if they were looked after (as with
> any notebook) they'd work well.
>
> Rob

Yes, they are expensive, but good specs. I have not looked at Novatech,
so thanks for that. It would be very useful to find suppliers who sell
laptops without an OS. When I suggested to my local computer dealer that
he could refurbish old laptops and offer them without an OS he said that
he needed to have an OS of some sort installed in order to test them out
first. Good point.

Neil