Re: [LUG] OT: Mobile flashing

Simon Robert wrote:
On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 14:44 +0000, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:59:48 +0000
tom wrote:

I've been given a samsung d600 that a friend had in a cupboard for a while and it wont power up properly - comes on/takes picture but just
a grey screen etc - the screen works when charging so I guess it
needs resetting/reflashing
any ideas how?

or anywhere that will take it as trade in for a new one : I really
only want it for the missus to use as a camera really...phones seem
the cheapest option for that!
Tom te tom te tom
If you can get hold of it, most phones that can be connected by USB
cable also have "software updating" tools.  Nokias have the "PC Suite";
Sony-Ericcsons have the "Sony Ericcson PC Tools", etc.  Frequently
these allow you to update the firmware on the device, but usually only
to a version that's allowed by the network that branded it (T-Mobile,
etc).

I hve never had a Samsung phone so I don't know too much about them,
but I'd say there's a good chance they stick to that format.

Grant.

I think you'll also find that the software is windows, though for the
phones I've tried out with a virtual machine seems to do it.

If I was "the missus" and was presented with a broken mobile phone to
take photos with because it is "the cheapest option for that!" I think
I'd soon be the "ex missus", though I know it is not my place to judge
other peoples relationships or sense of irony!
Thats why I was trying to get it working!!!
An expensive camera will be at home, whereas the phone will be with her when she wants to take a photo (not a handbag carrier her )
The cheapest camera I could see, after about 1 minute googling, was this
-
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/2972424/art/vivitar/vivicam-5018-compact-digi.html

I reckon that for Â23 it looks pretty OK and a lot more featured than a
semi functioning mobile (would your partner be able to transfer the pics
off it easily? Would they be tiny with crap resolution?) and probably
cheaper than the new battery that might solve the problems with it may
cost.
I saw a phone with a 4M for not much more than that in tescos at the weekend. Its not really a question of cheapness - we have a 'perfectly good' camera but its never with her. I could buy her a really whizzy one, she could spend a week learning to use it and then we'd get sepia shots of the kitchen and little else.

If you want to try flashing it with the latest firmware the site is here
-
http://www.samsungmobile.co.uk/support/softwaremanuals/software.do?phone_model=SGH-D600&sw_type=UM
Therese no firmware there thanks - I tried. There seems to be firmware about but not in the public domain (unless you want french and wish to buy a box to do it with ???)
then at least you can see if the problem is battery related.
I've checked the battery - its fine. I should add than my little bro works as a trainer for mobile repair engineers and it just needs reflashing. The thing came with CD software which talks to the phone fine - until you upgrade to the latest version when it stops. I have e-mailed a couple of places that say they can reflash it for but its not cheap - despite it being a ten minute job - hence the potential re-sale value of the phone + all bits charger etc ~Â20
Tom te tom te tom
On your other suggestion I really don't know any shops that will accept
a piece of not functioning hardware and hand out a new one in exchange!
As in "Hi, here is a megacorp widgimedoflop that a mate bought someplace, it
no longer functions. Could you give me a new one please?" (I already
said I have an irony deficiency didn't I).