Re: [LUG] cisco 7905 phone

On 4 March 2010 11:16, Edwin Rhodes <edwin_rhodes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a TFTp server used to provide system images for xterminals,
> apparently a tftp server is required to setup the IP phone tcpip settings
> etc. Is there a way to hard code the details and not use the tftp server? Or
> can i set it up so it talks to a different tftp server?

As I said, you can press the menu button and configure the settings in
there. You might want to do a factory reset if you haven't to ensure
that the old user's passwords and so on aren't going to bother you.
Make sure you have the SIP firmware.

I don't know how your Xterminals do it, but the Cisco phones look for
a "option 66" result in the DHCP response. This tells it what server
to contact.

Using a different TFTP server to any other that you might have set
that depends on what DHCP server you use. On the Cisco router I have I
can create a separate pool for this:

ip dhcp pool cisco-ip-7905
   host 10.0.3.3 255.255.0.0
   client-identifier 0100.xxxx.xxxx.xx
   option 66 ascii "10.0.2.5"

If you can go for the TFTP method that is recommended, since the
config file is a lot more customisable and you won't lose the settings
if you need to factory reset. It also makes provisioning 3 phones
easier (just copy the file, edit it and run it through the conversion
tool).

A quick Google reveals a few tutorials and a source of SIP firmware
and the config file converter.

Shaun