From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Shaun Orchard
Sent: 04 March 2010 07:55
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] cisco 7905 phone

On 3 March 2010 23:06, Edwin Rhodes <edwin_rhodes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Gordon, just setup trixbox server and i have 3 cisco 7905 phones to
> setup, how do i configure the phones to talk to the trixbox server? Can i
> set phone ips to static etc, are there any tutorials or advice you can
give
> me as to how to setup the phones?
> Thanks

I am not Gordon, but:

Have you configured 3 extensions in trixbox already? I don't recall
having to do anything differently there, although I recall having to
set nat=no to make it work. Bear in mind that the Cisco configuration
thing that trixbox offers won't work for your 7905 since it uses a
completely different config file format. What it does do is enable its
TFTP server that you can use to place files to be served.

If you have done that, you should be able to press the world button
(the other looks like a stop sign if I remember correctly; which ever
one is to the right of the up/down keys is the one). From there you
should be able to unlock the settings (if they are not locked by the
previous user or you haven't already done a factory reset) and type it
in manually.

Another method is to make a config file and put it on a TFTP server,
then configure your DHCP server to tell the phone where that is. Most
consumer routers don't allow that, so you'd need to set something up.
I have a Cisco router doing my DHCP so that is not an issue.

There is a pretty good tutorial on voip-info.org that explains how to
do that (I am on GPRS so I am not going to try looking for it).

Oh, and make sure your phones have the SIP image. I don't have my
7905s in front of me so I don't remember how to check. I *think* it's
a different letter in the version number or something. If you don't
have the SIP firmware installed you'll need to set up a DHCP and TFTP
server and create a config file and so on. Again, voip-info.org should
explain.

Shaun