Re: [LUG] Any FreeSat HD users?

On 3 March 2010 13:56, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So wondering if anyone knows of a HD FreeSat box that will down-scale to
> normal TV - if this is possible and if this is actually worth it right now,
> or am I just barking?
>
> I've been browsing the freesat.co.uk site and do see some boxes with both
> HDMI and Scart sockets, but there's no mention of down-scaling...

SCART is PAL or RGB SD, so yes, they all downscale. It is sometimes
advised to use it instead of HDMI, because aspect ratio switching is
not always automatic via HDMI like it is guaranteed to be on SCART
(most people don't care - fattyvision is what they want anyway).

> And even if it is possible, is down-scaled HD any better than SD stuff
> broadcast over FreeSat/Sky?

It should look better than SD, at least, I find it does. I guess it's
because there is a decent picture going into the scaler and not
low-bitrate, sometimes low res (ITV is a definite culprit) SD crap.