Re: [LUG] Epson Stylus S21 Printer

james kilty wrote:
On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 16:47 +0000, John Hansen wrote:
I have bought an Epson Stylus S21 printer which is proving to be troublesome. It is very noisy and seems only to be able to print if I insert the paper sheets singly

We have 2 different Epsons at home. Both seem to grab the paper and hurl
the works at it to print, with great clatterings. One works better with
100g paper than 80g. The other must have the paper clean and square to
not fold the corner and either jam, or worse, drag it through and jam. I
have even had to unplug it while working to get it to stop until I
realised paper had to come from the box. It is fine if paper is clean
with a straight edge.

Hope this helps

James
My old Epson R200 used to make a bit of a racket when printing, they certainly don't make the printers as solidly as they used to. I'd also suggest the sandpaper (light sandpaper) on the rollers trick, it can be a bit fiddly to get to but it might help. I remember years ago HP had a tool for the old DeskJet 500 which would grind the rollers for about 10 minutes with a metal tool which can only be described as having a couple of scourer pads on it. Used to work fairly well for a few more months until it needed doing again.

Other than that maybe try and put it bit of card under the paper, it might help it pick it up. If it's not under warranty then I'd say it's probably cheaper to bin it (or even better give it away on Freecycle) and buy a new one if the above tips don't work and it gets to be too much of an annoyance. I ended up giving away my R200 to someone on Freecycle who was into photography and wanted a printer for greyscale printing.

Rob