Re: [LUG] March DCLUG meeting in plymouth?

Rob Beard wrote:
> edward mccaughan wrote:
>> Just to mix things up a bit, @plymouthgeeks organising a DCLUG meeting
>> in plymouth for chance, largely because we're too lazy to go all the
>> way to paignton.
>>
>> BuuuUUUuuut, I've been to a few LUG meetings, but never organised one
>> before, so first we've got to sort out a few things:
>>
>> * First off, who's coming? it would help to have a vague idea of
>> numbers before we try book out the pavillions
>>
> I could possibly make it depending when it is.
>> * second, when? Would people prefer an evening weekday meeting or a
>> weekend daytime meetup? And since there's a meeting in holsbury with
>> no particular date yet and the regular paignton meet on Saturday the
>> 6th, how about vaguely the end of march (eg: the 20th or 28th ish?)
>>
> Weekend daytime is better for me.  At the moment I can probably do the
> 20th, possibly 28th (I'd have to check what the wife is doing).
>> * Most importantly, what are we doing? Do we want to do a vaguely
>> formal meeting with presentations and lots of organisation, or an
>> informal social?
if weekend daytime is better for you then go for that,  saturday afer
noon people come from plymouth to paignton, so i guess on that basis
they are able to make it to a plymouth meet up.

> Informal socials are always good.  Maybe for the first one an informal
> social would be a better idea unless someone can come up with a
> presentation and/or talk before the meeting.

I agree, if you make the first one an informal social, it gives you a
chance to see what is available in terms of sockets, tables etc so you
can plan talks around what is available

>> I'm all up for setting a projector up and people doing talks (yes,
>> you, person reading this! We want you to do a talk and teach us cool
>> stuff!), but it requires a bit more organisation and enough people to
>> make it worth the effort.
>>
> Oh I dunno about doing a talk, although maybe sometime it would be good
> to do a talk on the happenings at Exwick and the Lighthouse

Do you have an update on this,
.  Another
> thing I'd like us to maybe do as a group sometime is maybe get together
> and watch some Linux related movies such as Revolution OS, or maybe
> Pirates Of Silicon Valley (we can all boo and hiss at Bill G and Steve B).
>
>> *and of course, where are we going to meet up? This largely depends on
>> what we're doing and how many people are coming, but I'm all ears if
>> anyone can think of a perfect, prefereably free and wifi'd venue
>> (although as long as we get enough people so it only costs a couple of
>> quid each, we could try and find a paid venue)

either that we can fund raise at social events which then can be used to
help pay for a paid venue.

> Only venues I can think of off the top of my head would be something
> like the Weatherspoons pub down the road from Toys 'r' Us.  Sorry living
> in Torquay I don't know Plymouth THAT well.  I occasionally get e-mails
> on Facebook about the Mutley Crown, not sure if that's any good,
> although IIRC it wasn't that far from the city centre.
>> *anything else I missed out? questions, suggestions etc?
>>
> Nope, can't think of anything.
>
> Rob

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details