Re: [LUG] PC repairs (was Change of Web Host)

Terry Hill wrote:
My first step with a machine that won't POST is to remove EVERYTHING
from it bar 1 (KnownGood) stick of RAM, CPU +HS, MOBO and PSU.

Those are the bare minimum to boot up a system, and it helps you
narrow down where the issue is. (because if it POSTS at this point,
you now start connecting other devices one at a time)
I'd also clear the CMOS (usually a jumper on the motherboard, if there
isnt or you cant find it, take the coin shaped battery out, go make a
cuppa, then come back and replace it)

If it still doesnt POST, i'd voltage check the PSU, and then things
start getting expensive as you start looking for replacement MOBO or
CPU.

Rhia has it here, if you've done this little lot, and checked the PSU
then it's generally time to throw away the motherboard.

If you're looking for a computer place in Tiverton, you could try this chap:

Glen Davey
Computers
13 Westexe South,
Tiverton
Devon
EX16 5DQ
Tel 01884 251013
Mobile 07880811102

If you do scrap it - do keep the cpu ram/disks etc - just in case we can organise a resurrection day somewhere...
Tom te tom te tom