Re: [LUG] mobile broadband things

Grant Sewell wrote:

We are still talking about 3G dongles, aren't we?  You shouldn't need
to use *any* GUI things - once you have it registering as a
USB-attached serial port you can use things like wvdial to handle the
rest.

We are.  wvdial is broken on armel and seems to have been so for some
time, but I'm not sure it's the right tool for the job anyhow.  As far
as I can work out, the Option iCON dongles need the HSO driver and this
presents the connection differently from a normal PPP connection.
Instead of a ppp0 interface you get hso0 and that's handled by the
driver.

I am struggling to recall all the details about PPP dial-up though, I
have to admit.  I don't think I've actually used a dial-up modem
internet connection since about 1996.

What's the HSO Manager app for?

It's really just a connection management tool -- allows you to switch
between network providers, force 2G/3G etc. and then configures the
network interface, routing, resolvers and suchlike.

James