[LUG] USB memory stick - what a contrast

I bought my first ever memory stick today - Kingston Data Traveler 8GB.
I have two computers to use it on, desk top Kubuntu Hardy and laptop
Mint Gloria Xfce.

I tried it in the desktop - locked the computer solid, had to use the
reset button. Left the stick in the slot and this time the computer
logged on OK but no sign of the stick.

Some searching on Google later I found that I had to go to System
Settings, and then click on the Advanced button (first time for that I
think) and then on Disks & Filesystems.

I could then see it in the list, marked as disabled, but had to go to
Administrator Mode to be able to edit it. I had to choose a folder for
it to use and then I was able to enable it.

It insisted on setting itself up as root so when I wanted to transfer a
file to it I had to do it as root. I was not able to change permissions
even using sudo.

Eventually I got the file across, and then unmounted the stick before
removing it. This time when I put it back in the USB slot as a test it
was OK.

Started the laptop and put in the stick. A new icon appeared on the
desktop ready for me. It had created a temporary folder for itself named
Kingston. A double click on the icon and that folder opened up and I
could see the file I had placed on it. Interestingly the folder Kingston
was set up in my user name, not as root.

I copied the file across to the laptop hard disk, no problem. Then I
unmounted the stick before removing it.

As I said in the Subject above, what a contrast. Getting it working in
Hardy was a pain and took me ages. In Mint it just happened. Perhaps it
is partly because Hardy is a bit old now.

Neil