Re: [LUG] South Devon College 'Show and Tell' event - response - can anyone add to this

Rhia Knowles wrote:
> I have spoken to Roysten at the Student Liason team, they are very
> much in favour of the idea of raising awareness of Linux, though he
> admitted he didnt know anything about it.
>
> I gave a general talk of "Its a free, open source alternative to
> windows, immune to windows viruses, still allows you to surf the net
> and do pretty much everything you can do whilst running windows. By
> promoting it we can say 'Why Pirate Windows when you can run something
> legal and free' " and explained we aren't a company, just a group of
> people who use the software, who meet up to swap tips and tricks, help
> each other out when we need tech support.... Also mentioned we were
> thinking about May.
>
> He's very much on board, needs something from someone vaguely official
> to say what we are about, what we do, and that we're not for profit,
> also what we want from the college.
>
> Anyone help me out with this?

Hi

Sounds good so far,  I am not really a senior member of the group,  I
think Simon W and Neil W are,  as well as Alex C.

Perhaps between us we can write something here

Ok
The Devon and Cornwall Linux user group was formed in 1999 and has since
expanded to over 200 members.  Our main aim is to bring together users
of the Linux operating system for discussion, share expertise and
technical know-how social chat, and forge commuinity spirit (after all
Free software is part of a wide community of people).  We are therefore
open to anyone of any age. And our membership reflects that.

We are a non profit making group,  and meet up once a month at the
shoreline in Paignton on a social basis.  Some members are also involved
in projects such as the Lighthouse music hub, where they are helping to
set up a Linux based computer network for users of the facility to use.

In terms of what we need from the college,  we are happy to meet up at
the college and give students some information, both verbal, written and
via presentation software on what free software is all about,  we are
able to provide copies of software on cdrom / dvd (this is legal it's
free software).

What we would need from the college is

Space to meet up
Perhaps internet access to down load items if we don't have it with us
Power sockets / tables to set up computers for demo'ing
perhaps also what ever is needed to make this as safe as possible for
example to cover trailing wires up, (perhaps the college can advise)
Food / drinks area open so we can purchase, tea, coffee, soft drinks and
food.

Ok I will leave it at that,  perhaps someone else can add something.

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details