Re: [LUG] Multiple Monitors...

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Seeing posts about multiple monitors recently and I'm thinking of treating
> myself to a nice shine new one, and running the old one as a 2nd display...
> However my mobo might not be up to it - I would have to use a (gasp!) PCI
> graphics card for the exising monitor - 1280x1024 while the on-board copes
> with the new one (er, 1920x1080 which I think the mobo will cope with...
> Intel chipsset)
>
> Aria:
>
> http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Displays/Monitors/TFT+20+-+23/Arianet+23%22+Full+HD+Widescreen+LCD+Monitor+-+Black+?productId=37241
>
> My current monitor is the 19" version by the same maker and it's been (still
> is!) really good for the past few years now, and cost about the same price
> as that did too.
>
> (didn't come with the nice photo though )-;
>
> Mobo just has a single 32-bit PCI slot. I have an nvidia riva-128 PCI card
> which I used in my last system without any real issues.
>
> I suspect I'm simply barking up the wrong tree trying to mix 2 different
> graphics systems (on-board + PCI) but it's not something I've ever looked
> into..

The only problems I've had previously is that I forgot that when a
motherboard has an AGP slot, if there is an onboard graphics chip it
tends to also be AGP - adding an AGP card seems to disable the onboard
one.  You shouldn't have a problem with PCI, though.

Grant.