Re: [LUG] sudo (was: lshw -html UPDATED)

> My preferred incantation under Ubuntu is
> sudo su -
> To get a proper root environment. Anyone have other, better
> incantations?

I believe the preferred method in Ubuntu is "sudo -i".

According to the sudo man page:
The -i (simulate initial login) option runs the shell specified in the
passwd(5) entry of the target user as a login shell.  This means that
login-specific resource files such as .profile or .login will be read
by the shell.  If a command is specified, it is passed to the shell
for execution.  Otherwise, an interactive shell is executed.  sudo
attempts to change to that user's home directory before running the
shell.  It also initializes the environment, leaving DISPLAY and TERM
unchanged, setting HOME, SHELL, USER, LOGNAME, and PATH, as well as
the contents of /etc/environment on Linux and AIX systems.  All other
environment variables are removed.