Re: [LUG] lshw -html UPDATED

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, tom wrote:

tom wrote:
I've just run sudo lshw -html on a machine and a couple of thing popped up in red - one of which was the graphics chip which mostly works all right but one or two thing produce windows with graph paper or black
Anyone know how to dig deeper into this?
Tom te tom te tom

I'm not 100% sure but I think the red may be due to problems with the display driver. I found out how to fix it (in theory) but I've now come across a problem where I cant save Xorg.conf even as sudo! I dont want to change the ownership without setting it back to whatever it was before - does anyone know a little script that will save the file settings somewhere and then change them so sudo can edit and save the file and then write them back again?

If you

  ls -l

the original file, you'll get all the information you need to change ownership & modes after writing a new file.

Xorg.conf is fairly minimal these days though - it's unusual to need to fiddle with it - at least in the Debian world... I did do some fiddling on the laptop to get compiz going though.

Gordon