Re: [LUG] Bah! Disks! Bah!

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Simon Waters wrote:

James Fidell wrote:
Simon Waters wrote:

The main power saving focus is on laptops, and hard disk drives aren't
generally a big part of laptop power consumption to start with

OTOH I believe battery life is noticeably better with the solid-state
disks on an Aspire One than with a normal hard drive.

It may be, but the Aspire one SSD is 16GB versus 80+GB for the HDD, if

They're 8GB and really really slow )-: The later ones might be biger and faster though, but early ones aren't.

Saying that, I have as much of Debian as I need on mine and still have 4GB left over - as a "smart terminal" it's fine and the storage isn't an issue - even my wifey who wctually uses hers to produce word documents and sometimes back-up her camera doesn't find it an issue as she copies everything off it when back home.

Gordon