Re: [LUG] OT: Google Book Agreement

Brad Rogers wrote:
On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 15:41:07 +0000
tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello tom,

I haven't been following this thread closely, so some of the following
may already have been discussed....

by it. And Google are presumably assuming that everyone in the world
is watching the goings on in a court in new yok.

USAian copyright law is very different from ours.  What passes muster
there almost certainly won't wash here.

I occasionally use Google Books in my family history research.  Quite
often, the books I'm interested in are located on Google's US servers.
As such, they're unavailable to view here, using normal methods;
Differences in copyright law.  I have to resort to a proxy service to
get a peak at the books.

That, in itself, won't be enough to reassure you that your material is
safe, I know.  As already suggested, you'll probably need some legal
advice.  Often, the initial consultation is free, but limited to 1/2 hr
or so.  It might be enough to outline your problem, and determine
whether it'd be cost effective to pursue the matter.

I dont really give a poo if my work is published by google - what I do object to is the fact that my work was covered by copyright - the Berne Convention cover the whole world - apart from the US now..

This is an arrangement between two private organisations in a US court that will change the effect of a law thats been around since 1879 or something. Its a law that will add cost to many small companies as the now need extra cover. The Berne convention says that no-one can publish your works without your permission. This changes it to 'except google if you havent told them not to when you somehow luckily found out that someone in a fara far away country was trying to change the law for you.
I'm used to my government taking away my rights - not foreign companies.
This is about 'orphan books' - the damned people in the US think they can take people 'for the better good' from Haiti - how can authors there afford to prove to google that any Haitian books published by them are theirs - all records will have gone. The other problem is the remuneration - once you've proved its your book and Google let you have the $30 for 20 sales (after as far as I can tell paying $150 to the organisation that handles the money) how would you feel if you sold your limited edition for $1000 a go - check out the art world thats cheap.
The whole setup basically says all books are as cheap as Dan Browns.

Tom te tom te tom