Re: [LUG] OT: Google Book Agreement

Anthony Williams wrote:
On 04/02/10 08:56, tom wrote:
I've been thinking about this Google Book Agreement and am starting
to get very scared about it.

Why? [A real question, I'd like to understand your reasons, I'm not
currently sure how I feel]

As a copyright holder I had a right to publish further or not. I wont
 anymore.

Previously your only recourse before was to sue anyone who chose to copy
your work. Such action would likely be expensive, time consuming, and
not necessarily resulting in a win.

Under the GBA you can ask Google to exclude your work from all uses, or
assert a request not to digitize it in the first place. You can also
claim for payments due to revenues arising from use (though I expect
that will amount to pennies for all but the most popular works).

However, the default for all works "not commercially available" is to
include them rather than exclude them, and I'm not sure this is the
right choice.
As I say I have copyright material out in the wild that I couldnt even name. The law protected me when I did it - no-one else could publish it without my permission. So I didnt register it or make myself traceable by it. And Google are presumably assuming that everyone in the world is watching the goings on in a court in new yok. Its like a burglar saying 'well you didnt specifically write dont steal me on these things'
Tom te tom te tom

Anthony