Re: [LUG] OT: Google Book Agreement

paul sutton wrote:
tom wrote:
I've been thinking about this Google Book Agreement and am starting to get very scared about it.

Over the years I have 'published' things, with copyright at the bottom, for a select few. I have not needed to, nor have I , registered these in any way as I was covered by the Berne Convention and left it at that.

The Google agreement, as far as I can tell, will give Google the right to actually publish those on line - and pay me tuppence should I be able to prove its mine after the fact. Now I've no problems with a worldwide library but this action is retrospective. If they find a copy of some of my works they seem to think they have the right to publish it unless I go and tell them otherwise. I can even remember some of the things I did and I'm fairly certain that the only thing I'd loose if they did publish them was face.. but that's just me. There will be many others out there, small publishers who cant afford a legal team and a web search to find out if any one else (MS as EEE?) is decided that this is a good game to play.

As a copyright holder I had a right to publish further or not. I wont anymore.
I think this is horribly horribly wrong.

Tom te tom te tom oooh whats happening to this world.....

what happens if they find an oldefr version of a document and publish that, even though it has been superceeded by a newer document, this could be dangerous with books on say first aid, that give the 2005 convention for resusitation, that has since been updated.

who gets blamed, i suppose there is small print which blames the original author
The more I look at the more it feels like 'if your not party to this agreement you're gonna get shafted' Its scary - write to your MP and I suppose you have to write to Google as well...
Tom te tom te tom