Re: [LUG] Customer Queue Management System

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, tom brough wrote:

Any one aware of an open source system for "processing" customers queuing for services at a service desk. Torbay Council is about to tender for a system for its "Connections" office's. Unfortunately its the usual story the users know they want something but cant (yet) pinpoint the functionality, so this is my best guess.

Queue number generation / issuing - ticket printing.
Logging
Assigning tasks to "processors"
Queue Management
Queue Performance
Automated calling of numbers.
Flat screen information / progress boards.

In other words the kinds of things that you might expect to see in a
large job centre / citizens advice centre etc .....

I know there are a lot of helpdesk / ticket management / CRM  systems
out there but I cant seem to pin point any system that provides for such
requirements / environments.

If anyone is aware of anything that meets these needs please post.

I think Simons hit the nail on the head - certainly about the hardware aspect of it all.. I also suspect it would have to be sold not just as software but a combined software/hardware package, including installation, maintenance and local signage. Installation is going to require the use of power tools, ladders, etc. and all the elf'n'safety impact that has on a small business.

But then again, it all depends on how "cheap" the council is willing to go - supply a kit of parts and let council workers do the installation? (Can't see this happening, personally)

"Poshest" one I've been to in recent years was the one in the DVLA office at Marsh Barton - it printed a ticket with an approximate time on it - I guess based on the current flow of people through the agents. It was fairly accurate too IIRC.

I also suspect any OS solution will be up against some very well
established systems - eg. top 3 on google:

http://www.lonsto.co.uk/
http://www.ctronix.com/
http://www.kiosk-system.co.uk

So anyone want to source the underlying hardware? It'll be easy after that...

However, once you've written the code, sourced the hardware, arranged for installation and maintenance, you've effectively started a new company and are you then going to give the code (and all that other knowledge you've gained) away to someone else?

Interesting dilemma, that one ..

Gordon