[LUG] [Fwd: Re: Ref 147446 FW: IT provisioning in Devon Schools]

I'm still laughing
Tom te tom te tom
--- Begin Message ---
Tom

I am the Local Authority officer that you need to speak to.  All Devon
schools have a service that cannot be compared with a domestic ADSL
connection or costs.  There are a number of differences that make the
service more expensive and here is a list of some of them.

Firstly the connection is synchronous.  That means that the upstream
bandwidth is the same as the down stream.  This is never available to
domestic users.  So if your daughter's school has a 10Mb connection then
it is 10Mb (not up to 10Mb) both ways.

Secondly the service is filtered in a sophisticated way to allow
children access to what they need to do but protected from things that
they shouldn't see.  This includes the connection being monitored 24/7
for inappropriate access and illegal site use.

Thirdly the connection is link to the National Education Network which
gives the school access to may free resources that cannot be provided by
Home ISPs.

Fourthly included in this service is a safe and secure monitored Video
conferencing service.

Which school does your daughter go to?

The procurement process is done to the highest OJEU procedures and
covers 2,500 schools in the South West - so will be best value for this
type of service.

I hope that helps.

Nick

Nick Pearce
Lead Officer ICT Systems and Infrastructure
Strategic Resources
Children & Young People's Services Directorate
Room 137, County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter, EX2 4QG
Email: nick.pearce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel: 01392 382008 Voicemail: 01392 382008 Fax: 01392 382025 Mobile:
07866 103187
Website: http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/childrenfamilies.htm
Email disclaimer: www.devon.gov.uk/email.shtml