Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Re: Ref 147446 FW: IT provisioning in Devon Schools]

tom wrote:
> I'm still laughing
> Tom te tom te tom

> RE: Ref 147446 FW: IT provisioning in Devon Schools
> From:
> "Nick Pearce" <nick.pearce@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date:
> Tue, 2 Feb 2010 12:10:12 -0000
> To:
> <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> To:
> <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> CC:
> "John Barnard" <john.barnard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Tom
>
> I am the Local Authority officer that you need to speak to.  All Devon
> schools have a service that cannot be compared with a domestic ADSL
> connection or costs.  There are a number of differences that make the
> service more expensive and here is a list of some of them.
>
> Firstly the connection is synchronous.  That means that the upstream
> bandwidth is the same as the down stream.  This is never available to
> domestic users.  So if your daughter's school has a 10Mb connection then
> it is 10Mb (not up to 10Mb) both ways.
>
> Secondly the service is filtered in a sophisticated way to allow
> children access to what they need to do but protected from things that
> they shouldn't see.  This includes the connection being monitored 24/7
> for inappropriate access and illegal site use.
>
> Thirdly the connection is link to the National Education Network which
> gives the school access to may free resources that cannot be provided by
> Home ISPs.
>
> Fourthly included in this service is a safe and secure monitored Video
> conferencing service.
>
> Which school does your daughter go to?
>
> The procurement process is done to the highest OJEU procedures and
> covers 2,500 schools in the South West - so will be best value for this
> type of service.
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> Nick
>
> Nick Pearce
> Lead Officer ICT Systems and Infrastructure
> Strategic Resources
> Children & Young People's Services Directorate
> Room 137, County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter, EX2 4QG
> Email: nick.pearce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Tel: 01392 382008 Voicemail: 01392 382008 Fax: 01392 382025 Mobile:
> 07866 103187
> Website: http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/childrenfamilies.htm
> Email disclaimer: www.devon.gov.uk/email.shtml

Sounds very much like SWGFL (South West Grid For Learning).

If you want to bid in the next round be my guest but you better be on a
BECTA approved list .... and be prepared to provide a poor service at an
extortionate price because otherwise your bid will not be taken
seriously ......

The good news......

Cabinet Office have released there latest ICT strategy which is
promoting open source.

The bad news .....

Government Cloud will probably put me out of my Systems Administration
Job in the next 5 - 10 years ....

Call me old fashioned but I prefer local services run in-house by local
people ....

The "reward" you get for years of campaigning for Open Source / Open
Standards is someone admits after 10 years that you where right about
the future of Open Source Software after all and then hands you your P45
..... Well not yet but probably very soon.

Tom.