Re: [LUG] OT-ish: Government aid for computers

Quoting Dave Foxcroft <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Not a bad idea but a little flawed.....basically you have to be income support, JSA or similar state benefits to qualify - if you work and therefore get working tax credits then you don't - so it locks out a lot of those on low wages because once working they qualify for working tax credits even if their income is below £16k.

I looked into it because I support a number of primary schools and
thought it might be a good way to help breach the 'digital divide' for
those on low incomes but it seems that this, like most other similar
government schemes, doesn't really work.

Yep sounds about right, and how long before eBay is flooded with these machines.

Rob