Re: [LUG] Mint XFCE4 wireless connection

Grant Sewell wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
> Essentially the wired and wireless connections are completely separate
> - just because you have previously connected with a cable doesn't mean
>   your laptop will then automatically be able to connected wirelessly
>   as well.
>
> In order to connect wirelessly you will need to know the following
> details:
>
> SSID (this is the 'network name').
> Encryption type (usually WPA, but older kit might still use WEP).
> Encryption 'key' (aka a password).
>
> Once you have those, you should be ready to connect.
>
> I do not know what the XFCE4 Wireless Connection Manager looks like,
> but chances are if you click on it it will show a list of WiFi networks
> in the area.  Select the one that's yours and it should ask you for the
> 'key' (they're usually pretty good at figuring out whether its WPA or
> WEP, but it's worth checking).
>
> If you type in the correct details, it should let you onto the wireless
> network and things should 'just work'.
>
> Grant.

I have found the SSID of my router, in my case the ESSID. The encryption
 is not set up, so no type or password. I have tried putting this in the
wireless set up in XFCE but to no avail. No wireless connections found.

When we first had broadband here I bought a router. I use a desktop
upstairs and my wife nowadays uses a laptop downstairs. Actually she
bought the laptop later, at the time we had just the one computer.  I
connected my desktop via a cable to the router. As I remember it just
worked. When my wife bought her computer (Windows XP) it found the wifi
connection withouy any help from me as I remember. Let me put it this
way, I did not know about the ESSID on the router until this week.

When my son visits he brings his laptop with him and it just connects to
the wifi without any problems. This is why I expected it all to just happen.

>>From the above it is now obvious to me that I have a lot to learn about
how it all works. If anyone has any suggestions, recommendations about
where I might start ......???

Thanks

Neil