Re: [LUG] Mint XFCE4 wireless connection

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:51:24 +0000
Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Have been given a Presario laptop. Installed Linux Mint, with the
> computer linked by cable to my wireless router (D-Link). When I look
> at the wireless icon in the panel it says 'Connected to wired
> network'. However when I try to use the computer when it is not
> connected by cable to the router I cannot access the internet.
>
> Any experts out there to point me in the right direction please? I
> have never tried to use the wireless part of the router before.
> However I know that it works as my wife uses it on her laptop. She
> can browse the internet and use emails without any problems. She uses
> windows and has never had a wired connection to the router.
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil

Hi Neil,

Essentially the wired and wireless connections are completely separate
- just because you have previously connected with a cable doesn't mean
  your laptop will then automatically be able to connected wirelessly
  as well.

In order to connect wirelessly you will need to know the following
details:

SSID (this is the 'network name').
Encryption type (usually WPA, but older kit might still use WEP).
Encryption 'key' (aka a password).

Once you have those, you should be ready to connect.

I do not know what the XFCE4 Wireless Connection Manager looks like,
but chances are if you click on it it will show a list of WiFi networks
in the area.  Select the one that's yours and it should ask you for the
'key' (they're usually pretty good at figuring out whether its WPA or
WEP, but it's worth checking).

If you type in the correct details, it should let you onto the wireless
network and things should 'just work'.

Grant.