Re: [LUG] NZ School Goes Open Source Amid Microsoft Mandate

Brad Rogers wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:10:13 +0000
Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Rob,

Hmmm... surely that would be fraud or deception though wouldn't it, charging schools for something they don't need?

I have to admit that I'm relying on what I was told at the time, but the
chap is usually a reliable source.  He said that it was in the terms of
the contract that MS charged based on "the number of machines", and not
"the number of machines running Windows".
Yep I thought it was something like that. In that case, I want a version of Windows 7 for a ZX81 :-)
As you and Julian have indicated, that's possibly illegal under UK
contract law and therefore how we got out of it.
It's a shame that the UK.gov didn't actually take Microsoft to court though, I mean, there's bound to be machines at schools which are either too old to run Windows, or even incompatible, multiply that by the amount of schools in the UK and I'd say it would probably run in to the thousands, or maybe even 10's of thousands.

Rob