Re: [LUG] NZ School Goes Open Source Amid Microsoft Mandate

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:02:46 +0000
Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Rob,

> Yep I thought it was something like that.  In that case, I want a
> version of Windows 7 for a ZX81 :-)

:-))

> It's a shame that the UK.gov didn't actually take Microsoft to court
> though, I mean, there's bound to be machines at schools which are
> either too old to run Windows, or even incompatible, multiply that by
> the amount of schools in the UK and I'd say it would probably run in
> to the thousands, or maybe even 10's of thousands.

The trouble is, the govt. would have to prove that MS were breaking the
law.  MS can afford darned good lawyers.  As a result, it could end
up costing the UK tax payer far more than the govt. would ever hope to
recoup.  It's entirely possible that somebody argued that it wouldn't be
"in the public interest" to pursue MS as a result.  Of course, they could
have been some sort of patsie.

--
 Regards  _

Junk floats on polluted water
Hong Kong Garden - Siouxsie & The Banshees