Re: [LUG] Number 10 Petition

On 25/01/2010 08:56, Terry Hill wrote:
I guess the only real world way to replace commercial monopolies with
open source choice is to go head to head with them, and open a
computer shop in every large town that sells pc's without the
operating system price and is staffed by the people that know the OS's
they sell.  You'd have to do a better job of it than PC world for
instance, where most of the staff have only learned to turn a pc on
and off since joining the force (well if our local branch is anything
to go by).

Looks like the one in Exeter have been teaching the staff to sell higher value items which aren't big commission earners. Went in on Saturday with a friend to buy a couple of PCs and the sales guy recommended wireless adaptors for the PCs rather than network cables.

The choice was...

£30 each for a USB wireless adaptor or
£25 for 3 x 2 Metre network cables, eBuyer price - about £3. That's one hell of a markup.

I remember working at Software Warehouse about the big commission earners (well I was the one who was paid the top commission every month!). Printer cables were great, we'd sell a £8 cable or a £15 cable, and suffice to say, the £15 cable was 'much better'. The trade price of each cable was something like £3.

Rob