Re: [LUG] Killing X11 and making it stay dead!

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010, Peter Walker wrote:

To stop X running automatically change the default runlevel in /etc/inittab.

Does that work in Ubuntu? I thought that was a RedHat and it's derivatives thing. It's certinaly not applicable for Debian. (unless things have changed and I've not noticed)

Probably not :-(
I'm running Fedora so it works for me. It looks like in the Debian world you have to use sysv-rc-conf to remove your display manager from the lower run levels as well. Then you can set your default run level to 3 (for instance) to disable the GUI. This is just theory but it should work.

Pete