Re: [LUG] Spreading the Linux gospel

Rhia Knowles wrote:
GTK based so certainly co-exists with Gnome. I havent tried KDE. With KDE3.5 being seen as obsolete, and KDE4 generating so many whines from formerly loyal KDE users, i thought that was a bit too much for this Linux noob >.<

I will say that in the PClinuxOS forums i have seen KDE 3.5 users saying that LXDE was like KDE but lighter so you might like it...
I find that KDE and Gnome tend to keep themselves to them-self. I prefer K3B to Brassero so I tend to install K3B on top of Gnome and that works rather well apart from an error which pops up with regards to the sound when a disc has finished burning. I can live with that though.

I have given KDE4 a try a few times, I do like some aspects of it, but other aspects just make me want to bang my head on the laptop keyboard and I always go back to Gnome. I guess it's what I'm used to. I also quite like XFCE with being being fairly similar to Gnome (I run Xubuntu now on the PS3, it needs to be lightweight due to the serious lack of ram!).

Rob