Re: [LUG] Spreading the Linux gospel

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:17:00 +0000
John Hansen <whitover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Linux has so many versions (distros). Distrowatch lists 100 and
> > there are more. To us that may seem like a strength but actually it
> > is a weakness.

No, it is a strength and the comparison with Windows is false. There
are multiple "castes" of each flavour of Windows,

> > For most people Windows has just three choices, XP,
> > Vista and now Windows 7. That is already more than enough to worry
> > about. Even when I said that there were perhaps about 20 strong
> > contenders that was still scary.

Can't have it both ways - you want a system that is easy for newcomers
but other users need to have the absolute power and flexibility to do
clever things with servers for the cloud or tiny embedded devices.
GNU/Linux does that, Windows does not.

> > Most Windows users acquire their computer with the OS already
> > installed.

Which is the primary source of all subsequent problems.

> > Learning about a different layout for files and folders on the hard
> > disk. Again, they all looked a bit worried and puzzled. The main
> > question was why?

Because that is how GNU/Linux delivers the improvements that users
want. The Windows model is not a good one. An imposed monopoly is not
necessarily a result of a good process, merely the result of the
monopolistic approach.

> > The user system was again a big problem. Learning about root, users
> > and their passwords, groups, the home folder etc. Wow. Scary again.

Benefits.

There is no need for GNU/Linux to be useful to every possible user -
Windows is not. GNU/Linux isn't targetting a monopoly.

> > Installing new packages. Well on Windows, I think, you either
> > download the exe file and double click on it or put the relevant
> > CD/DVD in the drive, wait for the install button to appear and
> > click on it.

And that's a good thing???

It's not a good idea for users to download random rubbish from the
internet and be able to execute it on their own system!

Security is the enemy of convenience and if we are still pushing
GNU/Linux as more secure than Windows, we undermine the entire push by
driving for more convenience.

> >  On Linux I could have mentioned apt-get, synaptic,
> > adept, deb files, repositories, RPM files, dependencies, well you
> > get the idea.

Yes, and it is a good one.

> > Need for an incentive to move.

Not everyone has one. Not everyone needs one. Not everyone can be
persuaded. And all of those are GOOD things.

> > Much help and hand holding required.

As there would be if Windows was not pre-installed.

> I think you hit the nail on the head! There are far too many options
> and the file system leaves me cold.

It serves others very well.

> I like my A,B,C,D,E,F drives! Why OH why does Linux need to make
> every thing so complicated?

Because that is the source of the power that you seek to espouse.

--

Neil Williams