Re: [LUG] Spreading the Linux gospel

Neil Winchurst wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:
Quoting Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Yes, I understand that. I did explain to them all the there were about
20 strong contenders. As I said, even that was scary. I think that the
best way is to simply install the one you know best, and perhaps mention
that there are some other choices if that one does not prove popular for
some reason.

Neil
So why mention the 100 different distros?

If you're advocating Linux and Free Software, start with what you know. I don't go around recommending Mandriva or Suse because I don't know it
that well so I can't really support it (okay I guess I could if need
be).  I tend to tell others about Ubuntu.

Same as others will probably advocate about Debian, Fedora, Gentoo etc.

Rob

I agree, it was silly of me. Won't do it again. I will just stick with
the versions I know.

Neil
Probably a good idea :-)

I don't go mentioning Windows XP Embedded, Windows Server and Windows Mobile generally when I talk about Windows :-D

Rob