Re: [LUG] Spreading the Linux gospel

Paul Sutton wrote:

I have found though that as a day to day user I don't need to worry
about permissions, everything in my Home directory has the correct
permissions.  The only time I have really played with permissions is on
my server to restrict certain things from the kids (like making family
pictures read only to certain groups such as the groups that the kids
account is in, so they can look at the pictures but not inadvertantly
delete them).  I'd have to do the same on Windows too if I was using
Windows as a server.

Rob

There is no harm is discussing specific issues at Lug meets it may
encourage people to attend,
I didn't say there was :-)

I was just saying that as a home user generally you may not come across permissions problems, not at least for a single user PC. That's not to say I wouldn't like to learn more about suid/sgid and sticky bits is it?
it also shows that rather than just being social as a community we can
share information and support each other.   Having regular talks /
workshops looks good, shows the community is active etc.
Yes, but from experience, the LUG meetings are generally social. The Shoreline may not be the best location to do a talk unless it was something where a couple of us could sit round a table (like when Gordon brought in his Asterisk boxes). Maybe with any luck we may find The Lighthouse is a better venue, or maybe the hall at Exwick (the hall itself is a good size and has lots of seating, I'm not sure if Trevor has a projector and screen though or if anyone else has one to hand?).
in contrast

I wonder if one can go to a windows user group meeting and get someone
to talk everyone there through windows permissions free of charge, or at
very very little cost.  I doubt it.  Can you go to such a meet and get
windows installed free of charge, nope

Windows User Group meeting?

I've heard of computer clubs (which in my experience have been free or a little cost to hire rooms) but not a Windows User Group meeting. You'll probably find some people rope their more technically minded friends into doing Windows reinstalls for a couple of beers/bottle of wine etc.
lets look at this as a way to high light the differences between free
and closed source software communities.
To be honest, I've been members of some Windows related forums for a while now and some of the folks in there are just as helpful as in Linux forums or on Linux mailing lists. Same goes for some Mac forums such as MacFixIt. With any OS I've also found folks who are just the opposite.

Rob