Re: [LUG] Spreading the Linux gospel

Quoting Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx>:

Yes, there are IMHO too many choices, but we are stuck with it. I think
it is a weakness, not a strength. All the more need for long term help
for anyone who moves across.

Neil

To me this is where regular lug meets come in,  either people ask on
here, attend lug meets asks on IRC,  if lots of people want to know
about how linux permissions work I am sure this can be arranged at a lug
meet provided that

we have notice
people can make the meeting
someone is able to make it and give the talk on the subject.

Perhaps it can be a topic for ubuntu hour. (see other threads)

Sounds like a good idea. Only yesterday I was reading a Linux Format magazine (Dec 2009 I think) which had an article about permissions and ACLs. I knew some stuff about permisisons but now know a bit more too (although maybe not enough to do a talk on it).

I have found though that as a day to day user I don't need to worry about permissions, everything in my Home directory has the correct permissions. The only time I have really played with permissions is on my server to restrict certain things from the kids (like making family pictures read only to certain groups such as the groups that the kids account is in, so they can look at the pictures but not inadvertantly delete them). I'd have to do the same on Windows too if I was using Windows as a server.

Rob