Re: [LUG] Spreading the Linux gospel

Grant Sewell wrote:
Unfortunately Windows (to the best of my knowledge) only supports non
drive-letter based mounting for physically attached media - you cannot,
for example, mount smb:\\nasbox\mediafiles on c:\media - no, that would
still require a drive letter.

Grant.
I think you're right, you could go straight to \\nasbox\mediafiles, and I believe with Active Directory and DFS, \\domain.com\mediafiles can point to \\nasbox1\mediafiles, \\nasbox2\mediafiles... and so on (basically to lots of different servers picking out the local server and replicating things around), but nope, I don't think I've ever mapped a Windows share to a folder on Windows.

I have however mounted a Windows share on a directory on Linux and re-shared it using Samba. It was slow but got round a client buying 10 more Windows CALs.

Rob