Re: [LUG] Spreading the Linux gospel

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:17:00 +0000
> John Hansen <whitover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> Linux has so many versions (distros). Distrowatch lists 100 and
>>> there are more. To us that may seem like a strength but actually it
>>> is a weakness.
>
> No, it is a strength and the comparison with Windows is false. There
> are multiple "castes" of each flavour of Windows,
>
>>> For most people Windows has just three choices, XP,
>>> Vista and now Windows 7. That is already more than enough to worry
>>> about. Even when I said that there were perhaps about 20 strong
>>> contenders that was still scary.
>
> Can't have it both ways - you want a system that is easy for newcomers
> but other users need to have the absolute power and flexibility to do
> clever things with servers for the cloud or tiny embedded devices.
> GNU/Linux does that, Windows does not.
>
>>> Most Windows users acquire their computer with the OS already
>>> installed.
>
> Which is the primary source of all subsequent problems.
>
>>> Learning about a different layout for files and folders on the hard
>>> disk. Again, they all looked a bit worried and puzzled. The main
>>> question was why?
>
> Because that is how GNU/Linux delivers the improvements that users
> want. The Windows model is not a good one. An imposed monopoly is not
> necessarily a result of a good process, merely the result of the
> monopolistic approach.
>
>>> The user system was again a big problem. Learning about root, users
>>> and their passwords, groups, the home folder etc. Wow. Scary again.
>
> Benefits.
>
> There is no need for GNU/Linux to be useful to every possible user -
> Windows is not. GNU/Linux isn't targetting a monopoly.
>
>>> Installing new packages. Well on Windows, I think, you either
>>> download the exe file and double click on it or put the relevant
>>> CD/DVD in the drive, wait for the install button to appear and
>>> click on it.
>
> And that's a good thing???
>
> It's not a good idea for users to download random rubbish from the
> internet and be able to execute it on their own system!
>
> Security is the enemy of convenience and if we are still pushing
> GNU/Linux as more secure than Windows, we undermine the entire push by
> driving for more convenience.
>
>>>  On Linux I could have mentioned apt-get, synaptic,
>>> adept, deb files, repositories, RPM files, dependencies, well you
>>> get the idea.
>
> Yes, and it is a good one.
>
>>> Need for an incentive to move.
>
> Not everyone has one. Not everyone needs one. Not everyone can be
> persuaded. And all of those are GOOD things.
>
>>> Much help and hand holding required.
>
> As there would be if Windows was not pre-installed.
>
>> I think you hit the nail on the head! There are far too many options
>> and the file system leaves me cold.
>
> It serves others very well.
>
>> I like my A,B,C,D,E,F drives! Why OH why does Linux need to make
>> every thing so complicated?

what happens when you reach Z

i think with linux hda1 can go beyond hda27 if need be,

but these are usually mounted in logical places so /media/cdrom for
example.  I have had windows get really confused with drive letters,
plug in a usb hub you get 4 drives appear in my computer,  then you get
your cdrom drive

c: harddisk
d,e,f,g flash drive thingy
h - cdrom

now install from H,  unplug the flash drive hub thingy and try and run a
game it gets totally mixed up and can't find the cd.

I stick to what works,  may have a learning curve but its logical, and
well documented. as to how it works, and what it should do.

paul

> Because that is the source of the power that you seek to espouse.

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details