Re: [LUG] OT: Mobile data, WAS: Interesting Linux info

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

I guess with regards to the proxy, at least on a laptop you can tunnel into your home network and use that connection as a gateway?

Sure - if it ever became a problem.

Not sure why they bother though - do ADSL (& cable?) ISPs still use proxys or are their outside world connections fast enough?

I used to proxy when I was running the Wi-Fi broadband systems and that did help, but I had a 2 or 3 layer system going at the time... And one ISP I worked for many (many!) years ago tried reverse proxying of their customers web sites to proxys located on the edges of their network to reduce the data load inside the network.. Them were the days...

Gordon