Re: [LUG] OT: IT salaries

Quoting george parker <georgeparker20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Friday 15 January 2010, Dan wrote:
On 15/01/2010 11:45, Rob Beard wrote:
> Quoting george parker <georgeparker20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> New Scientist has come out with it's Careers Guide and I thought the
>> list
>> would be interested in IT & Technology salaries for the South West.
>> These
>> come from a recruitment agency salary guide. They split the Country
>> into 6
>> and the Southwest takes in Gloucester, Somerset, Devon & Cornwall, maybe
>> across to Southampton.
>>
>> IT trainee        £22,853  ranked 4th
>> Network engineer    £25,180  ranked 5th
>> Security manager        £49,095  ranked 1st
>> Technical architect    £42,390  ranked 4th
>> IT Director        £71,885  ranked 6th
>>
>> I wonder what that security manager does.  Has he found a way to make
>> Windows
>> secure?
>> London, of course, is highest in 5 out of 6 areas.  Don't go there
>> if you're a
>> trainee.
>>
>> In engineering in general, an experienced engineer's salary ranges from
>> £35,000 for automotive engineers to £47,000 for oil & gas engineers with
>> electrical/electronic at £38,000 and CAD at £39,000.
>
> Hmm, I'd kind of take those figured with a pinch of salt.  The roles
> I've seen for experienced IT Technicians seem to hover around the £17k
> to £22k mark with trainees often only getting nearer to the £13k mark.
>
> Contractors tend to get more, but the problem with that being that
> there is no real job security and when you're not working you're not
> earning (and sometimes contractors can go a month between contracts,
> especially times like this where there are probably about 10 to 20
> applicants for one job).
>
> Rob

I completely agree Rob. 22k for an IT trainee in North Devon is unheard
of. Take 1/3 off all those salaries and it starts to look more accurate
(for the area I live in anyway).

Gibbs

I didn't say I agreed with these salaries for Devon/Cornwall.  I suspect that
they are heavily skewed by the Bristol/South Wales M4 corridor and perhaps
Southampton.  However, they are not out of line with IT salaries at Nortel,
Paignton when I was there 9 years ago where I ended up as an IT manager.
Compare that with with when I was maintaining hardware and software for small
businesses in 1989 (ah, the joy of the 286 and pre windows) and the only way
I could survive was with high overtime. So it does depend on which field
you're in.

That's the problem, some people seem to think that the South West stops at Bristol, I'm not sure if somewhere out there is a map of the country with a big chunk missing where Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall should be. Maybe it's labelled as barron land, or in Cornwall's case, another country ;-)

I am surprised by how many of the literally hundreds of engineers who worked
for Nortel have managed to stay in the area, not counting the ones like me
who retired.  Small companies have sprung up and are doing nicely thankyou,
including the one in Ashburton which is now Motorola. And others have gone
contracting/long distance commuting, or work from home.  Some do better than
others.  A lot will take a lot less for the west country quality of life, I
did in 1987.  But don't give up, there are opportunities around but you have
to go for them.  And hats off to those of you who are self employed or
running a business.  I looked at it once and then ran for cover.  I have one
son who wouldn't work for anyone else and one who has always worked for
corporates.  Whatever floats your boat.

Thing is, how many of these people were doing more involved electrical engineering stuff?

I would be surprised if everyone at Nortel was doing 1st Line, 2nd Line and 3rd Line Desktop/Network support roles.

When I worked at Torbay Council, one of the guys there, Simon used to work at Nortel, I think he left before it all closed, not sure if he's stil working at the council or not.

Rob