Re: [LUG] OT: IT salaries

On 15/01/2010 11:45, Rob Beard wrote:
Quoting george parker <georgeparker20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

New Scientist has come out with it's Careers Guide and I thought the list
would be interested in IT & Technology salaries for the South West. These
come from a recruitment agency salary guide. They split the Country into 6
and the Southwest takes in Gloucester, Somerset, Devon & Cornwall, maybe
across to Southampton.

IT traineeÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Â22,853Â ranked 4th
Network engineerÂÂÂ Â25,180Â ranked 5th
Security managerÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Â49,095Â ranked 1st
Technical architectÂÂÂ Â42,390Â ranked 4th
IT DirectorÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Â71,885Â ranked 6th

I wonder what that security manager does. Has he found a way to make Windows
secure?
London, of course, is highest in 5 out of 6 areas. Don't go there if you're a
trainee.

In engineering in general, an experienced engineer's salary ranges from
Â35,000 for automotive engineers to Â47,000 for oil & gas engineers with
electrical/electronic at Â38,000 and CAD at Â39,000.

Hmm, I'd kind of take those figured with a pinch of salt. The roles I've seen for experienced IT Technicians seem to hover around the Â17k to Â22k mark with trainees often only getting nearer to the Â13k mark.

Contractors tend to get more, but the problem with that being that there is no real job security and when you're not working you're not earning (and sometimes contractors can go a month between contracts, especially times like this where there are probably about 10 to 20 applicants for one job).

Rob

I completely agree Rob. 22k for an IT trainee in North Devon is unheard of. Take 1/3 off all those salaries and it starts to look more accurate (for the area I live in anyway).

Gibbs