Re: [LUG] Interesting Linux info

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, tom wrote:

What bugs me is it seems that the phones are basically £150 worth of PC with £20 worth of coms equipment - this is why I say give me a psion sized PC with an option to put the coms eqpt on the side

I'm not convinced they are £150 though.

The cost of developing the technology has to be paid for by someone - so a full year of R&D by a team of people (150+?) to develop the hardware and software platform has to be recouped, and although I suspect a lot if it these days is "join the dots", there's a lot of custom work in there - case, display, battery are typically all custom designed for the product - and there is additional engineering that will go into designing the electronics for low power usage and so on.

I rekon one way to go would be to get a cheap android and work out how to re-flash it.

But I also have to admit that sometimes a gadget is just that - a gadget and it's not worht the time & effort to open it when I have desktops, etc. that are already open.

Maybe you have more time than me!

Gordon