Re: [LUG] Interesting Linux info

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

Thats all these phones/e-readers etc are - crippled computers.

Having root access and gcc on a Nokia N900 hadly makes it crippled in my book.

Isn't the N900 the one that runs Linux based on Debian?

It *is* Debian. Complete with root access and apt-get, etc.

A friend of mine has just got an N900, not sure how much he paid for it, I'm guessing it's a contract phone.

They're between £450 and £500 right now. "Free" on a contract for 24 months...

I'm just hoping that in 12 months or so when my contract is up for renewal I'll be able to afford an N900 (or Android phone) on contract.

The new googlephone is about £375 plus shipping and import taxes...

I keep telling myself though that I will not buy an iPhone, now that's crippled unless you jailbreak it.

If you can't open it, it's not yours...

Gordon