Re: [LUG] BT internet problem..

Simon Waters wrote:
Samuel Tarling wrote:
I've got BT broadband, meant to be getting 1MB, I normally get
~500kb/s but the last few days, on my XP and Linux machine, it has
gone down to ~15kb/s but the BT HomeHub is saying its still getting
900kb/s (pah, it would wouldn't it..)

How do you measure. Is this using the BT speed test?

Otherwise it may simply be networking issues at BT (i.e. beyond your
immediate connection to the exchange). Could be anything from denial of
service attack, to weather damaging cables.

In the first instance contact BT.
Personally I'd say if you're technically minded, try the BT Broadband tester.

This gives more details: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm

It does require changing your router login details for some of the tests though, but it bypasses the ISP so it can test between the BT servers and the kit at the premises. It certainly rules out if it's a problem with the ISP generally (such as lots of users eating up all the bandwidth) or problems with the line/equipment.

Rob