Re: [LUG] BT internet problem..

Grant Sewell wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:22:21 +0000
Samuel Tarling wrote:

Hey everyone, a massively Linux unrelated problem, just wondering if
anyone can help
I've got BT broadband, meant to be getting 1MB, I normally get
~500kb/s but the last few days, on my XP and Linux machine, it has
gone down to ~15kb/s but the BT HomeHub is saying its still getting
900kb/s (pah, it would wouldn't it..)

Any help at all would be amazing, bearing in mind I've tried changing
WiFi channels...

Hi Sam,

Changing WiFi channels is unlikely to make any difference.  The
connection speed of which you're talking is the ADSL side of things,
and will (almost) always be significantly slower than your WiFi.

Things you should be looking out for are your "signal to noise
ratio" (S/N) and your error rates.

It's a very Windows-esque thing to do but sometimes the quickest and
easiest option is simply to reboot the router.  Sure it doesn't tell
you what the problem is, but if this only happens every 6 months or so,
I think it's worth it.

Grant.
It's not a good idea to keep rebooting the router though otherwise the DSLAM at the Exchange will think there is a line fault and keep reducing the BRAS profile and stick you on a really slow speed until it's reset. I made that mistake on Enta when I used to powercycle my router to get on a different Central.

However I gather once in a while won't hurt, just not lots and lots over a short period of time (say a day or so).

Rob