Re: [LUG] meeting summer 2010

Rob Beard wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am looking at orgainsing a larger meeting (all day event) for some
>> time summer 2010, probably June,  location will probably be Paignton, on
>> a Saturday,  (do it before the tourist season starts proper).
>>
>> As part of this day there will be talks etc,  so I will be asking if
>> anyone wants to do a talk or presentation,  for example the palace hotel
>> in Paignton does have a room with AV equipment.
>>
>> Fire regulations will come in to play here, in that there will be a
>> limit to the number of people who can attend this.  the 2008 BBQ
>> attracted a good number of people have other lug meets esp the first two
>> at exeter uni.
>>

> Oooh can we call it something like 'LUGFest'?

could do, depends if its aimed at lug members or a wider audience,  we
need the banner for it though either way.
>> **
>>
>> As a result I have created a RSVP list on the new website,  this will be
>> updated when a venue has been found.
>>
>> In addition as we will need to hire the room out, then members are asked
>> to contribute to this,  the more people that can attend the cheaper the
>> tickets will be,  if enough people are interested then cost can be kept
>> as low as possible
>>
>> thinking about all day events,  most places can provide mini finger
>> buffets, so if we want hire + buffet the cost may be a little higher,
>> but its better than going all day without food.
>>
>> **
>>
>> tickets will be on sale, not quite sure how yet,  but I am sure we can
>> sort that out.
>>
>> By selling tickets it means people are more committed to attending the
>> meeting and if possible keeping that weekend free,  by making such a
>> meeting several months in advance, it means people can plan and put this
>> in diaries / organisers or whatever they use to keep appointments.
>>

> Give me a shout off list, my other half has just started doing event
> planning and something like this would be ideal for her.

ok will do,

>> I have put a RSVP list and a call for papers page on the drupal site,
>> but until we have details can't really proceed that far.
>>

>> So the question is,  if such a meeting was arranged for say a saturday
>> in June, how many people would be GENUINELY interested in attending. ?
>>

> June is usually good for me, we go on Holiday in May before the peak
> season.
>> number of people reflects cost per person.
>>
>> we could even see if we can invite people such as ian lynch down to the
>> event to give a talk on ingots, and see if we can get some of the IT
>> techs at local schools along.
>>

> Might be a good idea.  Who is it aimed at though, LUG members or Linux
> convertees?

Depends, we have a number if options

lug meet a bit like the ones we did in the early days,  just the lug (or
members of the OSS community e.g uk-ubuntu etc, with talks etc

A lug meet that other people can attend such as general public, (if this
is possible.)

But if we get one event going,  get the contacts, we can do more and
more often.

paul

> You might be as well asking on the Ubuntu UK or Free Software Manchester
> lists for advice about speakers, IIRC Lucy on the Ubuntu UK list is also
> a member of FS-Manchester and has been involved with talks, I think they
> even managed to get Richard Stallman to visit one.  Might be worth
> seeing if maybe some of the bigger names from the UK could possibly make
> it along (hey you never know).  Names that spring to mind are Alan Cox
> (isn't he one of the main Kernel developers?) and Mark Shuttleworth.  If
> you can get them is a different thing though.
>> There are several other options, I guess it will depend on what the
>> venue will allow us to do.

yeah,  sounds good.  would be worth inviting others.  If we can get
sponsors it makes life a lot lot easier.

Paul

>> Ideas, comments please.
>>
> See above.
>
> Rob

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
The January meeting of the DCLUG will now take place on SUNDAY 10th
January, 3pm at the shoreline in Paignton.
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details