Re: [LUG] meeting summer 2010

Paul Sutton wrote:

Hi

I am looking at orgainsing a larger meeting (all day event) for some
time summer 2010, probably June,  location will probably be Paignton, on
a Saturday,  (do it before the tourist season starts proper).

As part of this day there will be talks etc,  so I will be asking if
anyone wants to do a talk or presentation,  for example the palace hotel
in Paignton does have a room with AV equipment.

Fire regulations will come in to play here, in that there will be a
limit to the number of people who can attend this.  the 2008 BBQ
attracted a good number of people have other lug meets esp the first two
at exeter uni.

Oooh can we call it something like 'LUGFest'?
**

As a result I have created a RSVP list on the new website,  this will be
updated when a venue has been found.

In addition as we will need to hire the room out, then members are asked
to contribute to this,  the more people that can attend the cheaper the
tickets will be,  if enough people are interested then cost can be kept
as low as possible

thinking about all day events,  most places can provide mini finger
buffets, so if we want hire + buffet the cost may be a little higher,
but its better than going all day without food.

**

tickets will be on sale, not quite sure how yet,  but I am sure we can
sort that out.

By selling tickets it means people are more committed to attending the
meeting and if possible keeping that weekend free,  by making such a
meeting several months in advance, it means people can plan and put this
in diaries / organisers or whatever they use to keep appointments.

Give me a shout off list, my other half has just started doing event planning and something like this would be ideal for her.
I have put a RSVP list and a call for papers page on the drupal site,
but until we have details can't really proceed that far.

So the question is,  if such a meeting was arranged for say a saturday
in June, how many people would be GENUINELY interested in attending. ?

June is usually good for me, we go on Holiday in May before the peak season.
number of people reflects cost per person.

we could even see if we can invite people such as ian lynch down to the
event to give a talk on ingots, and see if we can get some of the IT
techs at local schools along.

Might be a good idea. Who is it aimed at though, LUG members or Linux convertees?

You might be as well asking on the Ubuntu UK or Free Software Manchester lists for advice about speakers, IIRC Lucy on the Ubuntu UK list is also a member of FS-Manchester and has been involved with talks, I think they even managed to get Richard Stallman to visit one. Might be worth seeing if maybe some of the bigger names from the UK could possibly make it along (hey you never know). Names that spring to mind are Alan Cox (isn't he one of the main Kernel developers?) and Mark Shuttleworth. If you can get them is a different thing though.
There are several other options, I guess it will depend on what the
venue will allow us to do.

Ideas, comments please.
See above.

Rob