Re: [LUG] Save MySql

Neil Williams wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 16:11:04 +0000
tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Also on face book
Save My sql <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=401680840234>

It would sadden me to see MySql loosing it's GPL

Doh! - you never LOOSE GPL - you can never un GPL code.

True.

The only requirement is that someone still has access to the latest
version of the code before the licence changes. For MySQL, that is a
given. See FEMM for an example of where this was a potential problem:

http://femm.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/

This MySql campaign thing is the weirdest thing I've seen in a while
- I can only assume that MS are behind the campaign as part of some
broader FUDing to give the rumour that MySql may dissappear a more self-fulfilling role - the name might but the code wont.

It's the next versions that would be missing - along with security
fixes and preventing bitrot. i.e. as long as the community continue
hacking on the current MySQL GPL'd code, there's nothing to save - it's
a fork and the GPL is particularly protective of the ability to fork
GPL code. Forks have compatibility issues which get worse the longer the
two versions remain unlinked - I don't run any commercial MySQL
instances, does anyone have real data on whether the two are 100%
compatible currently? Forks don't have to change the name, it depends
on the attitude of the two teams and horrors like trademarks, cf
iceweasel. What we *don't* want is dozens of different MySQL forks.

If the link with commercial MySQL is lost, that's bad but it's not
disastrous.

You've just explained why it almost certainly wont happen - MySql would loose 99% if its user base overnight. But the name would have to change if it did - thats a trademark.
Tom te tom te tom