Re: [LUG] Save MySql - open

Paul Sutton wrote:

Simon Waters wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
does anyone have real data on whether the two are 100%
compatible currently?
As I understand it (I haven't used the Pro product), the MYSQL "Pro"
edition include separate monitoring and query analysis tools as well as
support services, but is otherwise the same product.

Third party OEM licensed solutions can (and presumably will) include
third code under non-free licence, although generally this is client
code for obvious reasons.

There seems to be a confusion between whether it is healthy for Oracle
to own MySQL from a market perspective, and the licence issue.

I think from a market perspective it would be bad for purchasers/users
of MySQL if Oracle own MySQL. But I doubt Oracle would be very
interested in SUN for just the hardware/Solaris parts of the business.

As far as free software licensing goes, I'm sure that MySQL will fork if
Oracle do anything too egregious, or even just sit on MySQL without
developing it further.

So if Oracle aquire Sun Microsystems, how does this affect sun star
office and open office ?

Paul
Well StarOffice is a commercial package so I guess Oracle can do what they like with it. OpenOffice on the other hand can be forked. IIRC Novel forked OpenOffice a while back, I believe to add support for proprietary Microsoft formats (I believe MS Works and Office XML formats).

Rob