Re: [LUG] OT: BBC HD picture quality petition

On 31/12/2009 00:20, g_remlin wrote:

Nobody has any BBC HD yet. The HD standard the BBC will use is only in draft, due for completion in January 2010. No receiver is yet manufactured capable of receiving it (reported on the BBC News Channel). And yes I am very pissed off, my 6 month old TV is already redundant!!

Actually hundreds of thousdands, even millions have BBC HD, it's broadcast on the Astra satellite on Sky HD and also FreeSat HD. It's also available on Virgin Media cable assuming you have the Virgin HD box. They have also started broadcasting on the Winter Hill and Crystal Palace transmitters, in fact they started broadcasting on 4th December 2009 I believe, although the boxes for Freeview HD aren't available yet, although the standard has been set as the boxes are in production.

The argument about this petition is regards to the reduced bitrate since the new encoders were brought in which has degraded the quality of the BBC HD channel by introducing artefacts etc. The head of BBC HD has dismissed any problems and has argued that bitrate doesn't make any difference, which of course we know isn't true, otherwise we'd all be listening to 8KBit/sec OGG files :-)

Anyway, there is more here about BBC HD...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_HD

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbchd/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbchd/what_is_hd.shtml

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39029474,49304459,00.htm